The 2024 VW Atlas Cross Sport: Comfort and Performance for a Fair Price
If you’re looking for the performance and elegance of the Volkswagen Atlas in a sleeker and more versatile package, the Volkswagen Atlas Cross Sport is the SUV for you. For the 2024 model year, Volkswagen has given the Atlas Cross Sport a refreshing update, including revisions to its exterior design, powertrain options, and standard features. The team at Capistrano Volkswagen in San Juan Capistrano, California, has put together this review of the Atlas Cross Sport’s specs and features so you can see whether it’s the Volkswagen for you.
Overview of the 2024 Volkswagen Atlas Cross Sport
The 2024 Volkswagen Atlas Cross Sport is — like its brand sibling, the Volkswagen Atlas — a gas-powered midsize SUV. In terms of design and dimensions, the Atlas Cross Sport is broadly similar to the Atlas except that it’s slightly smaller and provides two rows instead of three. The size that it spares in both length and height goes toward a gently sloping roofline and a more steeply angled back window, making for an overall sportier look. It also comes in five trim levels, as opposed to four for the Atlas:
- SE: 18-inch alloy wheels, heated/ventilated front seats, leatherette seating surfaces, total keyless access, dual-zone automatic climate control, 12-inch center display, exit warning system, and four USB-C ports.
- SE with Technology: 20-inch alloy wheels, remote start, remote power liftgate, front and rear park-distance control, and a standard trailer hitch.
- SEL: 20-inch alloy wheels, eight-way power-adjustable front seats, passenger power seat, heated first and second rows, leather seating surfaces, head-up display, and adaptive cruise control.
- SEL R-Line: 20-inch alloy wheels, driver-side memory settings, R-Line styling, and stainless steel pedal caps and footrests.
- SEL Premium R-Line: 21-inch alloy wheels, perforated Vienna leather seating surfaces, premium audio, and an overhead-view camera.
How Does the 2024 Volkswagen Atlas Cross Sport Perform?
Every 2024 Volkswagen Atlas Cross Sport trim comes with a 16-valve I-4 turbocharged engine that pairs with an eight-speed automatic transmission and generates 269 hp and 273 lb-ft of torque. All trims are also available in all-wheel drive with Volkswagen’s 4MOTION system, while the two SE trims also provide the option of two-wheel drive.
With all of that working in your favor, you can expect some decent accelerating power for a midsize SUV, going from zero to 60 mph in 7.7 seconds. The Atlas Cross Sport also has the same towing capacity as the larger Atlas and is capable of tugging 5,000 pounds when equipped with the trailer hitch (which comes standard starting at the SE with Technology trim). A variety of fishing boats, trailers, and other common recreational items are well within the Atlas Cross Sport’s pulling power.
As for the driving experience, the 2024 Atlas Cross Sport provides a quiet and comfortable ride. The suspension capably absorbs the bumps in the road, and the handling is responsive.
Is the 2024 Volkswagen Atlas Cross Sport Spacious Enough?
Though it’s smaller in both length and height than the Atlas, the Atlas Cross Sport still provides ample space for passengers and cargo alike. With a total interior volume of 152.3 cubic feet, the cabin comfortably seats five people across its two rows, providing 41.6 inches of legroom in the front and 40.4 inches of legroom in the back.
The cargo volume amounts to around 40 cubic feet behind the second row, which is among the largest default cargo areas you’ll find in any SUV. Folding down the second row will expand the cargo area to almost 80 cubic feet, more than enough to carry the entire family’s luggage for just about any trip.
What Technology Features Come With the 2024 Volkswagen Atlas Cross Sport?
Volkswagen has equipped the Atlas Cross Sport with a host of tech features designed to provide entertainment, enhance your comfort, or keep you safe, such as:
- Keyless access: With Volkswagen’s keyless access system, the vehicle senses if you have the key on your person. There’s no need to remove the keys from your pocket to unlock the door; you only have to touch the door handle and press the ignition button to start the vehicle once you’re inside.
- Remote engine start: Say that it’s cold outside, and you want your Atlas Cross Sport to warm up before you get inside. Just use your key fob to start the engine remotely from up to 125 feet away.
- Wireless charging: Place your compatible smartphone on the charging mat in the front console, and it’ll charge without you having to plug it into any ports.
- Digital Cockpit Pro: The customizable Digital Cockpit Pro features lets you view important vehicle and navigation information right in front of your steering wheel. You can also easily cycle through information with controls embedded into the steering wheel.
- App-Connect smartphone integration: App-Connect allows you to access your smartphone apps via the infotainment screen. This includes integration with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.
- IQ.DRIVE: IQ.DRIVE is a suite of driver-assistance features that includes travel assist, adaptive cruise control, active blind-spot monitoring, and rear traffic alert.
How Fuel-Efficient Is the 2024 Volkswagen Atlas Cross Sport?
According to the EPA, the 2024 Volkswagen Cross Sport in two-wheel drive consumes 4.3 gallons of fuel per 100 miles, which gets you 20 mpg in the city, 27 mpg on the highway, and 23 mpg combined. If you opt for all-wheel drive, which uses 4.5 gallons of fuel per 100 miles, the numbers dip a little to 19 mpg, 26 mpg, and 22 mpg, respectively.
2024 Volkswagen Atlas Cross Sport Price
The price you pay for the 2024 Volkswagen Atlas Cross Sport depends primarily on the trim that you choose. Excluding taxes, titles, options, and dealer charges, the MSRPs are:
- SE: $36,715.
- SE with Technology: $40,655.
- SEL: $47,435.
- SEL R-Line: $48,885.
- SEL Premium R-Line: $51,445.
Of note, your choice of drivetrain will also affect the final price. Specifically, opting for an all-wheel drive will increase the MSRP by $1,900 on applicable trims (i.e., the SE and SE with Technology).
Test-Drive a 2024 Volkswagen Atlas Cross Sport in San Juan Capistrano, California
Our new vehicle inventory at Capistrano Volkswagen features the latest Volkswagen models, including the 2024 Atlas Cross Sport. If you ask us, you have to get behind the wheel to get a true sense of how it feels, so go ahead and schedule a test drive today. You can reach us online through our contact page, by phone at 949-493-4511, or by stopping by our dealership at 32922 Valle Road in San Juan Capistrano, California. Our sales department is open seven days a week, so see us when you’re ready, and we’ll be happy to serve you.